I used to LOVE lasagna. I used to make it as a comfort food and eat way too much of it in one sitting. I decided to try out a pasta-free version of my own, and it came out amazing! I know there is a really amazing mock-noodle lasagna out there that lots of keto/low carb-ers rave about, but I’m way to pressed for time to make those time consuming recipes.
This recipe this super easy. Honestly. It is easy and delicious and takes about 30 minutes from start to finish. You don’t need to fuss over exact measurements either because really, how can you go wrong with extra cheese???
You do not have to simmer the beef and tomato sauce if you are really pressured for time, but it really does make a difference to have all the flavours fuse together. I also find that adding in extra garlic makes it even tastier however, if you have kids that are picky like mine, too much garlic means they wont eat it!
As for the ricotta mixture, the only part you should be careful not to overdo here is the nutmeg. Otherwise, this doesn’t have to be an exact science because a little extra cheese or garlic powder never hurt anyone! In any case, you can always just overfill some of the peppers if you have extra ricotta mixture left over. However, I do find that adding extra Parmesan can make the mixture saltier, so you may want to give it a little taste before adding more.
The next steps are super easy, scroll down for the full recipe!
Lasagna Stuffed Peppers
10-12 servings | Prep time: 5 mins | Cook time: 30 mins | Recipe Level: Easy
- 4 large bell peppers, cut into quarters
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 cup tomato sauce (no sugar added)
- 1 tbsp cooking oil (I use avocado oil)
- 4 minced garlic cloves
- 1/2 chopped onion
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 350g ricotta cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 cup Parmesan
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tbsp garlic powder
The Meat Mixture
- Over medium heat, saute the onions until translucent. Add in garlic and saute until fragrant.
- Add in the ground beef and cook until browned. Stir in the salt and tomato sauce, reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes.
The Ricotta Mixture:
- In a medium sized bowl, stir together the ricotta, 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella, Parmesan, nutmeg, garlic powder, and egg until well combined.
- Fill the peppers with one heaping spoonful of the ricotta mixture.
- Add a heaping spoonful of the meat mixture on top of each ricotta-filled pepper.
- Sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup of shredded mozzarella on top of the beef mixture.
- Bake for 20 mins at 375F and ENJOY!
Nutritional Information (per serving):
Calories 160 | Fat 8.4g | Carbs total 5.1g, net 4.2g | Protein 14.7g